Mint: Third Year’s a Charm

This past Labor Day marks the third year since releasing Mint. A quick annual review has become sort of a tradition around these parts.

Three years out Mint has established itself as a mature analytics platform. On average ten new people fall in love with Mint every day. Twenty-five percent of all Mint users like it so much they buy additional licenses for themselves, their friends and their clients. And they’re still writing rave reviews about it—both thorough and concise.

As a mature platform, Mint and its users definitely require less hand-holding. Support only consumes about an hour a day, with a bit more on Mondays. Mint only required four maintenance updates this past year with more regular updates and feature additions reserved for the various official Pepper. The past year also saw the introduction of two new official Pepper and a sub-app:

• Visits Diff displays how each of the timeframes displayed by the Visits pane performed over the previous period.
  • Directories groups pages and hits by directory.
  • Leaves provides device-appropriate views for multiple Mint installations.

Third-party Pepper developers contributed another twelve Pepper and 64 updates to their various offerings.

Off-screen, Mint appeared in a bare-all piece written by Elliot Jay Stocks for .Net magazine and on the chests of about sixty SXSW 2008 attendees, friends and family.

With Mint finally reaching an age where it can entertain itself, there’s more time to work on a new project or two—both of which have generated ideas that will be making their way back into Mint.

Widon’t for Zend
Julep
September 17th, 2008 at 12:27 pm
Personal
Mint
Event
Comments

Congrats on the third year, and also on the continuous positive revenue stream it must generate. It must be nice to have a pet project that actually is able to put some food on the table. :)

Henrik Lied
Sep 17th, 2008 4:24 pm

As ever, many congratulations on the continued success of a stellar application that is very much loved. As is my Mint tee!

Sam Brown
Sep 17th, 2008 5:15 pm

Congrats, Shaun! Your success is inspiring. May year 4 be your best yet.

Neal Ferrazzani
Sep 17th, 2008 6:01 pm

Congratulations, it’s great to see quality independent software being so successful. Here’s to another great 3 years.

Paul D. Waite
Sep 17th, 2008 6:09 pm

Congrats on having such a great you can be proud of. Mint wouldn’t be half as cool as it is if you weren’t such a fun guy.

Also, I attribute the vast majority of your success to your first name, even if it’s not quite spelled correctly. ~

Shawn Blanc
Sep 17th, 2008 6:25 pm

2 years back, I tracked visitors with Google Analytics, Reinvigorate, CrazyEgg and Mint. Over time, the first three got lost. Mint does exactly what I want. Nothing more, nothing less. In case I do need more functionality, there’s always a Pepper, waiting to be installed…

Congrats, I’m looking forward to what the future will bring for Mint, and your other projects.

Tim Van Damme
Sep 17th, 2008 7:37 pm

Yes, great, great product.

Too good actually—I’m way too addicted to invoking dashboard now.

Chris
Sep 17th, 2008 10:46 pm

Congrats on year #3, Shaun! Mint is still my favourite web app and it’s still my home page after around 2 years of use. Its success is thoroughly deserved, and long may it continue!

Oh, and cheers for the link-up. :)

Elliot Jay Stocks
Sep 18th, 2008 4:52 am

I definately agree about the independant software comment. Really good to see.. congratulations. You show Microsoft what’s what! :-)

Marina Neuerscheinung
Sep 18th, 2008 11:51 am

Has it really been 3 years now? Wow. I’ve been minted for quite some time now and plan on picking up a few licenses for some upcoming sites soon. And maybe someday I’ll get to check out this Fever thing…

Patrick Haney
Sep 18th, 2008 12:20 pm

Ten new customers a day is a pretty good accomplishment for any new product or service. The fact that you have to provide very little time on support is also remarkable. Congrats!

Adam Bryson
Sep 23rd, 2008 12:12 am

Congratulations Shaun! As a Mint user I can only praise the attention to detail you invest in your products and your friendly support.

As a web developer you’ve proven that the little guy can successfully compete with industry giants. I’m looking forward to Fever.

Alex Hardy
Sep 24th, 2008 8:07 am

Many, many congratulations!!! I just found Mint and fell in love. It’s nice to know there are guys like you out there that help us ‘little people’ so much. Thanks again.

KeeKee